Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Shepherd's Pie Time!

We started doing a bi-weekly dinner with our friends. It has been a great way to test out my vegan, gluten free cooking and baking skills. I couldn't find a shepherd's pie recipe that got me excited, so I made up my own!

Try it, tweak it, let me know what you think!


Preheat oven to 350 

Bottom Layer:
2 cups of cooked Lentils
1 1/2 t Chipotle Chili Powder
Salt & Pepper to taste

Mix together in a bowl, then press into the bottom of pie plate. I did bake it in the oven about 10 minutes before I added the filling.

Top Layer:
4 Large Gold Potatoes
1/4 c Nutritional Yeast
3 or 4 T of Earth balance butter
1/4 c unsweetened almond milk 
2 cloves Garlic, pressed
Salt & Pepper to taste 
Chives, chopped

Peel, cut & quarter potatoes. Boil with salt. Once soft, drain water and mash. 

The Guts:
1 T Olive Oil
Head of Celery(chopped)
2 or 3 Carrots(peeled and sliced)
Yellow Onion(chopped)
4-6 Mushrooms(sliced)
1/4 c Fresh Green Beans(chopped)
4 cloves of Garlic, pressed
1 can Diced Tomatoes with Italian herbs(drained)
1 c Vegetable Broth
1 T Balsamic Vinegar
2 t Sage

Heat oil and garlic in Wok. Saute the celery, carrots and onion until they begin to soften. Add mushrooms and green beans. Add tomatoes, veg broth, vinegar and sage. I brought to a boil and let the sauce reduce. I used a slotted spoon to get the veggies out and place them in the pie. Top with remaining sauce. 

Gently spread potatoes on top and sprinkle with chives.

Bake in oven for 40-45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment